Saturday, August 24, 2013

DIY Anthropologie Inspired Beaded Headband

Greenville just got our very own Anthropologie store not long ago, and I quickly became obsessed! I saw some super cute headbands, but could not bring myself to pay $32 and up for them. That is when I decided to make my own. I got my beads at Hobby Lobby when they were 50%  off and spent a about $6. That was enough to make 3 HEADBANDS! Here is what I did...

                                             Anthropologie one the top, DIY on the bottom

Materials:

  • Scrap of Black fabric (3 in by 12 in)
  • Scrap of any other fabric (for the back)
  • 1/8 yard medium weight interfacing
  • Beads (whatever you want! This is the fun part,)
  • An old headband (or buy new ones. The skinny stretchy ones are what I used)
  • Needle and thread (The needle needs to be skinny enough to fit through the beads)
  • Iron
  • Black embroidery floss (optional)
  • Fabric glue (optional)

Instructions:
  1. Attach Interfacing to both pieces of fabric with a hot iron
  2. Lay out beads in different patterns until you find the ones you love
  3. Start at 1 end of the black fabric and start adding the beads. I started with the center beads and just eyeballed it. To make it easier you can use a water soluble pen and draw the circles on. 
  4. Once you are done with your first circle move on to the next until you have about 10 - 11 inches of bead work done
  5. OPTIONAL Use a SMALL amount of fabric glue down the middle of the black fabric to adhere backing fabric.
  6. Pin backing fabric to black fabric
  7. With backing fabric and beaded fabric together, cut about 1/8 inch away from the beads (It using a machine see how close your foot will allow you to get before cutting) 
  8. Fold (or cut) headband in 1/2 and insert one side into each end of the beaded band
  9. This is where the embroidery floss comes in. I hand stitched one side closed and machine stitched the other with a zipper foot to see which I liked the best. I like the hand stitched side much better because you can get closer to the beads and give the circles a more rounded and even look, but its totally up to you. 
  10. Stitch all the way around (make sure to back stitch if you are using a machine!) 
That's it, you're all done. Below are more detailed pictures. I hope they help.
I inserted 4 small beads onto the needle at a time (only 1 of the others at a time). Then I pushed them against the others to see where to insert my needle back into the fabric. Come back up through the fabric BEHIND the last bead. This will help the beads achieve that rounded look. Add more beads until you have completed the circle. At that point I went through the first bead to round everything out.

I  cut 1 side of the fabric, stitched it, then cut the other side. 
ENJOY!!

I'm hope this has given you some ideas on adding a few headbands to your collection or making Christmas gifts (I know what all my girl friends are getting)!! Please share your designs with me if you decide to make one, I would love to see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment